Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Wine & Cheese of the Week - Lava Vine & Rogue River Blue


Lava Vine Vineyards
I had heard about Lava Vine from a couple different people and was anxious to check it out. Great spot to spend a sunny afternoon! The two guys in the tasting room were awesome. They were so fun, super knowledgeable, and really made an effort to show everyone a great time. There's a great back patio right off the tasting room and they're very dog friendly. Lava Vine only produces 1,200 cases a year, so they sell out of a lot of stuff quickly. The wines were really good and just an all around fun place to hang out.
Here's our picks:
2009 Viognier - $29
2010 Chardonnay - $35
2009 Cabernet Sauvignon - $54
2009 Dry Creek Valley Reserve Cab Sauv - $100
NV Port - $55
http://www.lavavine.com/

They let us go in back and wax the bottles we bought :)
 Rogue River Blue
I was innocently picking up a sandwich from Genova Delicatessen the other day when the really cute, old man behind the counter started raving about this blue cheese he just tried. How did he know that I love cheese? I have no idea, he just knew. He was going on and on about Rogue Creamery in Oregon and how it was the best blue cheese he'd ever had. I obviously bought a large hunk of it and totally agree with him. I love this cheese because it's a "punch you in the face" blue. I love a strong blue like this, but it's not for everyone. Serve it with honey and something crunchy to shmear it on. I'd drink this with a big red wine (like a cab or syrah) that can stand up to the bold flavors of the cheese.